Sunday, March 23, 2014

This Week's Pizza...

I've mentioned here before about how The Man is VERY serious about his pizza. He gets all twitchy when I talk about experimenting with his pizza night! But since the Butternut Squash Pizza I did a couple of weeks ago was such a big hit, I decided to take my chances and experiment again this week. As expected, The Man had something to say about this:

"Seriously? You're going to put BEETS on the PIZZA?! Really??" 

Yes, I was serious. Yes, I put beets on the pizza. And YES, it was delicious! 
Cashew cheese, roasted beets (both red and golden) red onion, rosemary,
and a little drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil on multigrain crust.
Here's a quick how-to (not exactly a recipe) Amounts and such will vary, depending on how big of a pizza you make. 

I started early in the day by making a batch of my favorite cashew cheese. This will keep several days in the fridge, so you can make this up well ahead of time if you want. Next, I roasted the beets, by cutting off the greens (save them for another recipe) then scrubbing them well, wrapping in foil and tossing them in the oven at 400 until you can stab them easily with a fork. The amount of time will depend on the size of the beets. Medium beets take about 30 minutes. When they're done, let them cool and then slip the skins off and slice. If I'm going to roast beets, I usually do a few extra, so I can keep the extras in the fridge for a day or two to toss on a salad or something. 

When I was ready to make the pizza, I sliced up the onion, and sauteed it in a little olive oil until it was soft. Meanwhile, I stretched out the dough, then spread a layer of cashew cheese over it. I used about a half cup or so for a medium sized pizza. (feel free to use more or less according to taste) Next I covered the "cheese" with a layer of beets, then added the onion and some chopped rosemary. I sprinkled the whole thing with a bit of salt and pepper, then drizzled it with a little olive oil. I baked it at 450 for 10 minutes. 

By the way... after all his apprehension, The Man loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment