Monday, April 21, 2014

This Week's Homemade Pizza!

This week I went to Whole Foods to buy the fixin's for our regular Saturday Night Pizza. I was disappointed to find that they were out of our usual Daiya Mozzerella-style shreds, but I did see a new kind of vegan mozzarella called Teese which looked interesting. We decided to give it a go, and I must say I'm glad we did. It was an interesting change from our usual. This variety is not in shreds, but is packaged as a log, much like fresh mozzarella. The taste and texture were very similar to fresh mozzarella, as well. Rather than shred it for the pizza, I decided to treat it like I would a the "real" stuff, and just slice it for the pizza. No regrets. It worked out great!

Another new thing we tried this week was some Sun-dried Tomato Pesto. I'm a big fan of pesto, in general, especially on pizza. Since I happened to have sun dried tomatoes on hand, I decided to make this special pesto, and it was goooood. Here's the recipe: 

Sun Dried Tomato Pesto

Sun dried tomato pesto on a cracker
You will need: 

4 cups of basil leaves (fairly packed)
4-6 cloves of garlic (depending on how garlicky you like it)
½ cup of pine nuts or walnuts
¾ cup of extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup of sun dried tomatoes (if the type not packed in oil, soak in hot water for five minutes)
Salt to taste

Put everything into a food processor and blend until smooth. That's it! 

I must confess, The Man and I ate a fair amount of this on crackers while I was preparing the rest of the pizza. This stuff is so good, on crackers, in sandwiches, on pizza and on pasta. I could eat it by the spoonful.

So here is how it all came together... the finished pizza!

Multigrain crust, sundried tomato pesto, red peppers, red onion, spinach
 and vegan "mozzarella" Delicious! 

No comments:

Post a Comment