Saturday, November 15, 2014

Some Awesome Things About My Life Right Now...

Can I just say... I seriously LOVE my life right now? The path to get here has been... well, let's just say it has been a wild ride. But now, I feel like I'm settling into the happy, healthy life I've wanted for a very long time. As nervous as I was to quit my job, I have not one regret now that it's done. I have so many good things now that I did not have before.

The kids, just hanging out
 in the playroom together.
1. Our home is our own again. Can you imagine how awesome it would be to gain two whole new rooms in your house? Well, that happened for us! We got to turn the two rooms that had previously been taken up by our daycare into a home office and a "big kid" playroom. This has doubled the living area on our first floor. And another thing about the playroom.... it's SO nice to have a space for my kids to all hang out together, in the main part of the house. This is a huge difference from before, when the kids spent their free time hiding in their rooms. Having the new playroom has been great for their relationship with each other, and for my relationship with them. We all talk and interact so much more than we ever used to. While the extra space is totally awesome, it's also just nice that our home is our HOME now, and not our work place. For the first time in a long time, our home feels like our sanctuary from the hectic world, and that's a wonderful feeling.

2. I'm really involved with my kids homeschooling. Quitting my job has given me the time to really give my attention to the kids' homeschooling in a way I haven't been able to be in years. Now I'm spending my days with my kids, driving them to classes, going on field trips, participating in activities. I also now have the time to do a lot of volunteering with our homeschool group. I love it!

3. My house is clean! Most of the time, anyway. Now that I'm not working full time in addition to homeschooling, I find it much easier to keep my house clean. I've also had time to tackle lots of little projects around the house, which is nice, too.

5. I read with Noodle almost every night. My older kids got TONS of reading aloud time with me when they were little, but I feel like Noodle got short-changed on that a bit, since he was only 3 when their dad and I separated and our lifestyle changed. Now that I'm no longer doing work stuff in the evenings, we sit down together most nights after dinner and read for a while. It's different now that he's 9... instead of me reading to him, we take turns, each reading a chapter. We both really look forward to this ritual.

6. I knit everyday. Sometimes just for 10 or 15 minutes, but I love that I am able to make that time for myself, to do something that soothes my soul and makes me happy.

7. I'm happier in my relationship. While, for the most part, The Man and I enjoyed working together, it did sometimes cause tension in our relationship. Being your mate's boss adds a weird dynamic to a relationship, which I did not enjoy. I'm very happy that he is now just my partner, and not my employee. Our partnership feels much healthier now. I miss him when he's at work all day, but then it's wonderful to see him when he comes home in the afternoon.

8. I'm enjoying parenting more. Now that I feel less stressed and stretched, I find myself yelling less and feeling much more patient when parenting challenges arise. As a result, I have a lot less parental guilt than I have had in many years.

9. I can be spontaneous. While the kids do have a fairly full schedule of classes and activities during the week, our new schedule does allow us several unscheduled hours each week where we can just do whatever we want. We can go off on an adventure if we wish, or decide to take a walk to the library or we can just stay home and bake cookies. When the kids were really little, spontaneous adventures were one of the things I loved best about being a full-time homeschooling mom. I'm so grateful to have that back again.

10. Peace. I feel at peace with the life I'm now living. It feels really right for my family. It has been worth every risk, every stretched dollar, every worry. Sometimes taking a leap of faith and taking a chance at changing your life works out. I'm very happy that for us, it did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment