Sunday, April 27, 2014

Sunday Morning Tofu Scramble

So, no pizza post this week... mostly because last night's pizza was just a plain, ol' peppers, onions, spinach and tomato, nuthin' fancy, pizza. Delicious, satisfying Simplicity, but not really blog-worthy.

Instead, I have a recipe for Sunday Morning Tofu Scramble! Excited? I am! I LOVE me some Scramble. Tofu scramble is a vegan mainstay, and there are about a thousand different ways to make it. We make it different pretty much every time, depending on what we have in the fridge. Many good vegan cookbooks have a version of Scramble, and you'll find a bunch of different variations out on the Interwebs. This particular version is one based on a veggie egg scramble I used to make, back when I ate eggs.

Sunday Morning Tofu Scramble

Serves 4

1 block of extra firm tofu
1 large onion, diced
1 medium red pepper, diced
4 plump cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika (smoked paprika is my fave)
1/2 tsp turmeric
black pepper, to taste
2 cups chopped greens (spinach, arugula, kale, chard... whatever you have on hand)
1 tomato, diced
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast

*NOTE: To make this easier to prepare on Sunday morning, I sometimes dice up extra onion and pepper on Saturday nights, while I'm prepping our pizza, and store it in a little container in the fridge.

In a large non-stick skillet, saute the onion and pepper in a little oil until it's soft. Add the garlic, and cook a few more minutes. Drain the tofu, and then crumble it into the pan with your hands. Add the spices and mix together well, until the tofu is evenly coated in spices. Continue to cook on medium-high, stirring often, until the tofu starts to brown. Add the greens and the tomato, and stir until the greens start to wilt. Add in the nutritional yeast. Serve.

We always serve this with oven roasted potatoes. The Man also likes toast with his, but I skip the toast and just pile on the 'taters. Mmmm....

My Scramble, with roasted Yukon gold and sweet potatoes. 

Since this recipe serves 4, and usually only The Man and I eat it, there are usually leftovers. We love to eat the leftovers for lunch the next day served over a baked potato or in a wrap. So good.



No comments:

Post a Comment