Saturday, February 22, 2014

More Fun with Cashew "Cheese"!

You might all get sick and tired of me going on and on about cashew cheese. But seriously... this stuff has changed my life! Before this vegan transition, I loved cheese, and really thought that I would miss it. But this cashew cheese totally fills the void for me, when I'm craving some creamy, cheesy comfort. To keep things from getting boring, I am constantly experimenting with different flavors and additions. This most recent experiment I think it pretty special, so I wanted to share it here.

I'm calling this one Sundried Tomato and Basil Cashew Cheese. I started out making my standard, basic cashew cheese, except that I added one extra clove of garlic, then I tossed a handful of Trader Joe's sundried tomatoes (the dry ones, not the ones in oil) and a handful of fresh basil leaves into the mix, and processed until all the tomatoes were chopped up well.  I think this just might be a new favorite version of this "cheese." Seriously, SO GOOD. Back in the days when I was eating dairy and gluten with abandon, I used to sometimes get a bagel with sundried tomato cream cheese at Brueggers. This "cheese" reminds me of that. Perhaps soon I will try some on a GF bagel!


Because of the lovely combination of Italian flavors (tomato, basil, garlic) this one seemed like a natural to go with pasta. So for dinner, we whisked in some unsweetened hemp milk, and tossed it with some GF pasta, and some greens that I had sauteed with some thinly-sliced onions. It turned out to be some really satisfying, creamy, delicious comfort food. This is like a fancier cousin to my new favorite "Spaghetti and Broccoli" recipe. Who knew Clean Eating could be so good?

No comments:

Post a Comment