Thursday, October 2, 2014

PumpkinsPumpkinsPumpkins!


Tis the Season for ALL Things Pumpkin. Everywhere you look, you'll find pumpkins spice this and pumpkin that. Even things that ought never be pumpkin flavored are jumping on the pumpkin wagon (Pumpkin spice GUM?!?)

While I would agree with those who say that folks do get carried away with Pumpkin Everything there IS a pretty good reason to get psyched about Pumpkin this time of year. Pumpkins are in season, cheap, plentiful and, when done right, absolutely delicious. Here are a few of my favorite ways to do pumpkin:

Pumpkin Soup
Pumpkin Bread/muffins
Pumpkin butter
Pumpkin spice oatmeal
Pumpkin pancakes
Pumpkin ravioli

When pumpkin is in season, I usually get one or two pumpkins each week, and roast, puree and freeze them in pint jars. Then, whenever I need pumpkin for a recipe, I can just pull out a jar and thaw. While this is definitely a bit more work than just buying canned pumpkin, fresh pumpkin tastes so much better, and you'll save a ton of money prepping your own. As an example: a 14 to 15 oz can of pumpkin costs upwards of $3 or more for the organic brands. Today I cooked up two good-sized organic sugar pumpkins, which I paid $5 for. I ended up with two and a half quarts of pureed pumpkin, which is roughly the same as 5 or 6 cans. Such a bargain!

Coming soon... I'll be sharing a few more recipes of what to do with all this delicious in-season pumpkin!

Soon-to-be Pumpkin Bread







No comments:

Post a Comment