Friday, September 28, 2012

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal


One of my favorite things about Fall is all those delicious Autumn flavors we get to enjoy this time of year… pumpkin, squash, apples, warm spices… so comforting as the weather gets chillier!

As I woke up to a damp, chilly morning, I decided that the family needed a special treat to get them up and moving for the day, I decided to “Autumn up” our usual morning oatmeal, by adding some pureed pumpkin and spices. The results were quite delicious, if I do say so, myself! So I have decided to share the recipe here. I hope that your family enjoys  this special Autumn breakfast as much as mine did!

Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal

3 cups of old-fashioned oat
5 ½ cups of water
½ cup pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned, either will work fine)
¼ cup flax meal (optional, but I like to add it to boost the nutrition!)
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
½ cup of chopped walnuts or pecans
Maple syrup

Combine the oats, water, pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and flax in a medium pot. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until it is your desired consistency. We like ours nice and thick. Spoon into bowls, and top each serving with chopped nuts and maple syrup. Makes about 6 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment