Monday, December 29, 2014

Holidaze

Christmas Eve Treats!
Here at The Homestead, the past week and a half has been filled festive holiday activities. We have celebrated birthdays and Solstice and Christmas Eve and Christmas. We have had fun holiday outings. We have baked and cooked and wrapped. We have spent time with family and indulged in decadent holiday food and drink. We had company over for the Solstice and Christmas Eve, but on Christmas day we enjoyed a nice, quiet day at home, just me, The Man, Ladybug, Monkey and Noodle. After present-opening and Christmas breakfast, The Man and I worked on a puzzle while the kids hung out and played with their new toys.
Christmas Dinner

In the evening, we had our traditional Chinese takeout for dinner. This tradition was started in my family by my grandfather, back in the 1950's. Since it's the only thing I've ever had for Christmas dinner, I have continued the tradition with my own family. After dinner, we snuggled up to watch A Christmas Story. Shutterbug came home to join us for a belated Christmas on Saturday.


Even though we still have New Year's Eve/Day to go, I have hit the point in the holiday season where I start to get "holidayed out" and crave a return to "normal" life.  I'm feeling fat and sluggish from all the holiday indulgences, the youngest child has been all out-of-sorts from too much sugar, too much activity and not enough sleep, and our home is still strewn with bits of holiday-related debris. So, yesterday I began Operation Holiday Recovery. I managed to get the tree down and out, and cleared away all the decorations in the living room and kitchen. Today I tackled the play room, and as of this afternoon, all of holiday stuff is neatly packed away in the basement until next December. It feels good to have our house back!

All packed up till next year. 
Now that Christmas has passed, I am looking forward to the New Year, and all the promise it brings. 2014 was an exciting year of big changes, and I am eager to see what 2015 holds in store for us. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment