Monday, December 22, 2014

Our Solstice Celebration

So, last night was the Solstice. We marked this longest night of the year and the gradual return of the Light with a nice celebration at home. We filled the house with candles, lit ice lanterns on the porch, toasted chestnuts out on the fire pit and enjoyed a delicious Solstice Feast. My sister and her fiance joined the children and I for our celebration.

Candles and greens on the table. We also had candles
 in all the windows, and on the kitchen island.

Ice Lanterns on the porch at dusk.

Ice Lanterns
Our feast was a mix of old favorites and a new recipe or two. 

Our Solstice Menu

Appetizers
Crostini with garlic white bean spread
crudite with dip

Dinner
Mixed baby greens with cranberries and pears and balsamic dressing
Mushroom and sundried tomato risotto 
Roasted root vegetables and cauliflower
Sauteed Kale

Desserts
Yule Log Cake (Chocolate, with mocha frosting)
Peppermint cookies
Hot Cocoa 
Tea


We must have been very hungry, because I didn't seem to get any pictures of the food! The risotto recipe was from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's book, Vegan with a Vengeance. It was by far my favorite dish of the meal. It was earthy, flavorful, creamy and comforting... perfect for a winter feast. I seriously want Isa to be my BFF. Her recipes are always absolutely perfect in every way. 

Next up on this week of celebrating: Christmas eve and Christmas. We will have some family visiting, which we are looking forward to. Tomorrow will be spent finishing up the last minute details of wrapping, baking and shopping for last minute menu ingredients. I'm especially looking forward to our annual tradition of making gingerbread houses... I confess I enjoy it as much as the kids do! 

I will not be posting again until after Christmas... so I will wish all of you who celebrate a very Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment