It also has a fireplace, which had been boarded up at some point. There is definitely a chimney there, so we were thinking it would be cool to open up the wall and see what was going on in there. We thought maybe we'd have the chimney looked at, and if it was good, we'd put in one of those efficient fireplace inserts to help reduce our heat bills in the winter.
But when we began to open up the wall, we found this:
|Oops. No fireplace :(|
Instead, we decided to just fix up the mantle and really make this faux fireplace a nice focal point for the room.
|We re-boarded up the opening, and replaced posts which were inexplicably|
removed by previous owners, leaving obvious holes in the floor.
|We also added some tile to the floor, to make it seem more "fireplace-like"|
|Almost finished! Now for accessories...|
That there is some old knob and tube wiring, not legal in many decades. The electrician we called suspects it was original to the house (which was built in 1895) so obviously this was a major safety issue. We are in the midst of having that whole mess cleaned up and redone, and new fixtures installed. This was an unexpected expense, for sure, but better to have caught it before it caused a fire. The electricians should be finishing up tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have a "room reveal" post up for the weekend!