Saturday, February 21, 2015

New Adventures!

So it's been a while since I've blogged here, but with VERY good reason... I've been using the time I would normally Blog to research and learn about two new adventures we're planning for this coming spring. This year I made a vow (one of my"New Year's Intentions" for this year) to stop waiting for "someday" to do the things I want to do, because, unfortunately, sometimes "someday" never comes. So, I'm making these things a priority, and making them happen now.

I am taking our little Suburban Homestead to the next level. Later this month, we're going to tap our maple trees and do our own Maple Sugaring, and when the weather warms up more, around April or May, we're going to start our very first beehive! These are two things I've always wanted to try, but just never really had the time.

Our Maple Sugaring Supplies have arrived!
Spiles, tubing and food-grade buckets. 
So how am I learning about this stuff? Well, maple sugaring has been pretty easy for us, as we've been on many educational tours at several maple farms, plus our neighbors have been sugaring for years, and we have learned a lot from them. I've also been studying up by reading books and watching YouTube videos on the subject.

Some beekeeping books
Beekeeping is quite a bit more complicated! I did sign up for a beekeeping course at a local Beekeeper's Association, but unfortunately the class filled up quickly, and I did not get a spot. I'm not giving up, though! I spend an hour or so each day reading beekeeping books I've gotten our of the library, as well as reading beekeeping forums and watching videos online. I'm lucky to know several local beekeepers, so I definitely have many mentors available, which also helps!


So that's what I've been up to. It's been nice to have something positive to focus on, while we continue to be bombarded with SNOW and absurdly frigid temperatures here in the Northeast. It's really been ridiculous... unlike anything I've experienced before. It's a bit overwhelming and discouraging, to say the least.

The end is in sight, however... according to the extended forecast, we're expected to start having warmer temps next weekend, which means it will be a good time to tap our maple trees and start waiting for the sap to flow! Of course, I will be documenting our progress here, so come back again, if you'd like to find out how it's going!

No comments:

Post a Comment