Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix


When the weather outside gets chillier, there is nothing better than coming inside to a nice, warm cup of hot chocolate.  Sometimes I get all fancy and make fresh, homemade hot chocolate from scratch… heating up the milk slowly on the stove… whisking in sugar and cocoa and a dash of vanilla… stirring patiently until it’s ready. Mmmm-mm! But then other times, I want to just use a mix, so I can just add water and start sipping. So each year around this time, I mix up a couple of jars of homemade hot chocolate mix, to get us through the cold winter months.

I decided to start making my own mix a few years ago, after reading the label on some packaged stuff. It contained things like corn syrup solids, hydrogenated oils and artificial flavors… Yikes!  I looked for some recipes online, and have been making my own ever since. Sometimes we make up a few extra jars, to give as gifts at the holidays. This is especially nice if you wrap it up with some cute mugs and some cookies or other treats.

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
(makes about 3 pint jars)

6 cups of dry milk
¾ cup of good quality cocoa (Do NOT skimp on the cocoa. Seriously. Good hot chocolate needs good cocoa. My favorite is Ghirardelli)
1 cup of sugar (I use organic raw cane sugar)


Pour everything into a large, deep bowl. Use a whisk to blend together thoroughly. Scoop into jars. 
To serve: Use 4 heaping teaspoons for each 8oz. cup of hot water. Stir until dissolved. Top with whipped cream or marshmallows, if desired. 

Jars of Hot Chocolate Mix... ready to gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment