Wednesday, June 18, 2014

"Barbecue" Kale Chips

I love me some kale chips. When I get a craving for something a little salty and crunchy, these really hit the spot. Some people make them with a just little bit of sea salt and olive oil, and that's just fine, but I like to boost the flavor and nutrition by coating the kale with some tasty and nutritious flavorings. My latest favorite is what I call "Barbecue" Kale Chips, because they sort of remind me of the flavor of barbecue potato chips.

I make my kale chips in a dehydrator, but if you don't have one you can do them in a VERY low oven. However, I would really recommend a dehydrator. The one I have is a very cheap, no frills one, but it does the job. If you do use an oven, make sure you have the temperature VERY low. 150 degrees is best. If your oven won't go that low (most won't) then keep the door cracked open a little while the chips bake. Here's how it's done.

Barbecue Kale Chips

Ingredients:

Big bunch of Kale, washed and torn into pieces
1/3 cup tahini
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 Tsp smoked paprika
water, to thin

In a very large bowl, whisk together the tahini, soy sauce, nutritional yeast and paprika. Add enough water to make it the consistency of thick salad dressing. Dump the kale into the bowl and smoosh it all around until the kale is well-coated with the sauce. Place in a single layer on dehydrator trays (or, cookie sheets if you're using your oven) For dehydrator, follow instructions, and dehydrate until crispy. The time will vary, depending on your dehydrator. Mine usually take most of the day. If using an oven, they will be done in no time at all so watch them VERY carefully... you don't want them to burn.

Recently, I tested this recipe out on collard greens, instead of kale, and they came out great! If you have a farm share, this time of year means TONS of greens. These chips are a great way to use them up.


No comments:

Post a Comment