Monday, March 17, 2014

Frozen Smoothie Packs

I love smoothies. They are a great way for me to get more greens into my kids' diet, and they are great on-the-go breakfast or snack for busy days. The downside to smoothies is that it does take time to chop everything up, so there are times when I'd love to have one, but don't bother because it takes too much effort.

But... I have a new trick up my sleeve, to make smoothies easy enough for everyday. Pinterest and food blogs everywhere are all abuzz about Frozen Smoothie Packets. Have you heard about this!? I wish I could track down the person who came up with this idea, because I would give them SUCH a hug.
Smoothie Packets

Making smoothie packets is EASY. Just cut up the fruit and greens for your smoothie, and put a
single serving amount (or double serving, if you want to make smoothies for two) into a zip bag and freeze. When it's time to make a smoothie, just take a bag out of the freezer, dump it in your blender, add water and blend. Boom! Smoothie in two minutes, no effort, no mess.

I made up two different types of smoothie packs this week: Banana- Mango and True Blue. Here are the recipes (each makes one serving)

Banana Mango Smoothie:

1 frozen banana
3/4 cup frozen mango chunks (I sometimes buy the bags of frozen mango from Trader Joes, to make things easier)
1cup of kale, packed
1 Tbsp hemp seeds (or chia)
1 cup water

True Blue Smoothie:

1 frozen banana
1/2 green apple
1/2 cup blueberries
1 cup kale, packed
1 Tbsp hemp seeds
1 cup water

Any blender will do in a pinch for smoothies, but I have to say that I just LOVE my Nutribullet blender, which The Man gave me for Christmas this past year. It is small and easy to clean and powerful enough to blend up a smoothie in no time flat. I highly recommend.
This morning's Banana-Mango Smoothie
Tomorrow, I will have a special post-St. Patrick's day post, with not one but TWO recipes for Irish Soda Bread.

1 comment:

  1. When it's time to make a smoothie, just take a bag out of the freezer, dump it in your blender, add water and blend. Boom! Smoothie in two ... 2smoothieblender.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete