Monday, August 13, 2012

Green Smoothie Recipe


So, this past week, we’ve been on VACATION, which was so very wonderful, but also means we ate lots of “special treats” we don’t normally eat on a regular basis. Pizza, nachos, ice cream, cake, wine, and lots of s’mores… waaay more carbs, dairy, sugar and fat than we are accustomed to! And boy, am I feeling it! Today I am back “on the wagon” of healthy eating, and trying to cleanse my body of all the bad stuff I fed myself all week!  One of my favorite cleansing (or anytime!) treats is a Green Smoothie! I have them often as a snack or a light breakfast. They are also a great way to sneak greens into your children’s diet! Here is my favorite recipe:

Mama’s Green Smoothie

4 cups of kale, washed, tough stems removed
2 frozen bananas
2 apples, cored and cut into eighths
Handful of green grapes
1 tsp of grated ginger
2 cups of water
A few ice cubes
5-10 drops of liquid stevia or honey, to taste.

Toss everything into your blender and puree until smooth. Deeeelicious! 

This recipe makes 3-4 servings. I store leftovers in jars in the fridge for the next day… just shake it up and drink! 

To those who balk at the idea of dark leafies in their smoothies... just try it! With all the fruit in there, and the little kick of ginger, I swear you can't even taste the greens. Promise! 

No comments:

Post a Comment