Thursday, July 19, 2012

Super-easy Homemade Body Wash


So yesterday’s post was all about clean clothes… today’s post is all about a clean YOU!

I’ve been experimenting with various body wash recipes this past year… some have been easy to make but not great to use, while others worked well, but the recipes were way too complicated, with tons of ingredients, cooking stuff on the stove, etc. Who has time for all that?! Not me. So, it became my quest to come up with a recipe which worked well, but wasn’t too complicated. Here are the results!
 
1 cup castile soap (I like Dr. Bronner’s unscented)
2 tbsp olive oil or almond oil
1/4 cup filtered water (or water that’s been boiled and cooled)
20-30 drops of essential oil of your choice (see note below)
(If you choose to use already-scented castile soap, you can skip the essential oils)

Combine all ingredients in a jar. Swish gently to blend. This body wash is on the thin side, so I pour it into one of those foaming soap dispensers to use.That’s it! See how easy that was? 

A note about the essential oils: In our last couple of batches of body wash, I have used Tea Tree Oil, which has anti-bacterial properties, is great for your skin and has a nice clean scent, which is suitable for everyone in the family. In previous batches, I have used sandalwood and vanilla (sensual, woodsy and slightly sweet) and vanilla and lavender (the kids’ favorite… great for bedtime!) Feel free to experiment with scent combinations that appeal to you and your family! 

2 comments:

  1. Isn't tea tree oil estrogenic?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/113251-estrogenic-effects-tea-tree-oil/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I missed this somehow! Thanks for the information! I will be reading more into this.

      Delete